Search This Blog

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Like dear, old dad?

Former West Virginia University, New York Giant, Raider and Washington Redskin quarterback Jeff Hostetler didn't really want any of his children to play football.

Taking a long look at his time with the Raiders -- The team was in both Los Angeles and Oakland during his four-year tenure -- the reasons are obvious.

When I said to him, "There was a year or two you took a beating," he responded by saying, "A year or two? I know four years out with the Raiders, it took its toll on me."

Now, he gets the dubious honor of watching his son, University quarterback Justin -- all 5 foot 10 inches of him -- stand back in the pocket while much larger high school linebackers bear down on him.

"You talk about being nervous, though," Hostetler said. "It's a lot tougher being on the sidelines than it is playing.

"It's terrible. I know now what my wife, my mom and dad and brothers and sisters had to go through when they told me how terrible it was to watch. Now I know."

Hostetler, who won Super Bowl XXV as the quarterback of the Giants, may get his final chance to coach son Justin tonight at University of Charleston Stadium at Laidley Field. The Hawks are heavy underdogs against Nitro in the state semifinals set to kick off at 7:30 p.m.

It's all been worthwhile for father and son.

Even if 6-3 Jeff was unable to give middle son Justin -- he has two others, Jason and Tyler -- any of his height.

"I always hear, ‘He's not like his dad, he's not 6-3 and 220 pounds,' " Justin said matter-of-factly. "I always hear that kind of stuff.

"I just kind of try to let it roll off my back as much as possible. You always wish you were a little bit taller, but what can you do?"

His mother, Vicky -- daughter of former WVU Coach Don Nehlen -- is 5-7 or 5-8.

"I don't know what happened," Justin said.

His height could also prevent Justin from following in his dad's footsteps and playing quarterback anywhere, although he's managed to throw for 1,778 yards and 13 touchdowns this season.

That is compounded by the pressure of being Jeff's son.

"That's always something they've had to deal with since they've been little," Jeff said.

Still, Justin has been asked by his father's alma mater, WVU, to walk on next fall to play defensive back, an offer he's mulling over.

"Right now, WVU is a pretty big option," Justin said. "It's close to home, it's where my dad played, it's a Division I school and they're doing pretty well right now."

It would be a good culmination of a career that may appear disappointing to some who sought a different direction for the son of a former NFL Pro Bowl quarterback.

But, it's not disappointing to Justin or Jeff, who have thoroughly enjoyed the experience in Morgantown.

"It's been phenomenal," said Jeff, standing high above me in sunglasses prior to tossing sideline passes to the University receivers during Wednesday's practice.

"It's been a great opportunity just to be around all these kids the same age ... they're all so multiple. It's been a blast."

Even if he didn't want Justin to play football?

"He came to me in the seventh grade and said, ‘Dad, you started in the seventh grade and I'd like to play.' So, we decided to go with it and just have fun."

And, that's exactly what they're doing.

No comments:

Walrus Archive