Search This Blog

Friday, June 02, 2006

MLB DraftTracker

MLB DraftTracker
By John Antonik for MSNsportsNET.com

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – With questions about his hitting now cleared up, West Virginia University’s David Carpenter has a pretty good feeling about this year’s First-Year Player Draft that begins next Tuesday.



David Carpenter batted .316 with seven home runs and 38 RBI as a junior in 2006.
All-Pro Photography/Dale Sparks

“The way people are talking and from what I’ve read, there is a shortage of catchers throughout the minor leagues right now. I’m looking forward to the draft and taking everything in,” said Carpenter.

The junior has heard directly from 18 of the 30 professional organizations and has had workouts with St. Louis and Cincinnati already with another one scheduled with Cleveland at Jacobs Field this weekend. Carpenter had to cancel a workout with the New York Mets because it conflicted with West Virginia’s appearance at the 2006 Big East baseball tournament.

“There are other teams that don’t believe in workouts and they will just call and talk to you and get a feel for your sign-ability,” he said. “They’ve seen enough of you during the season.”

The Fairmont, W.Va., resident has always shown an ability to receive and throw out runners, and questions about his hitting were answered this year after he batted .316 with seven home runs and 38 runs batted in for a 36-22 West Virginia team.

“No one has ever hit 1.000 so everyone has to work on it,” Carpenter reasoned. “I was a little more pleased with it this year that I was able to contribute with the bat as well as out in the field throwing guys out and helping out the pitchers.”

Carpenter has been told by scouts that with additional instruction, hitting shouldn’t be a major problem for him at the professional level.

“They have been telling me to keep working hard and they believe with a little bit of pro instruction the hitting will keep coming along as it did this year,” he said.

Although Carpenter isn’t listed among Baseball America’s Top 200 draft prospects, he is pretty confident his name will be called reasonably high. He also understands to expect the unexpected on draft day.

“A certain team came up to me and I hadn’t heard a thing from them at all,” Carpenter said. “The guy was telling me how much video (they had acquired) and how much the guys in the front office liked me. It was a big surprise to me because I hadn’t heard a word from them.”

Carpenter isn’t the only West Virginia player on the draft board. Right-handed pitcher Levi Maxwell opened eyes late in the year with a strong relief performance at Cincinnati. He comfortably throws in the 90-91 mph range.



Pitcher Levi Maxwell comfortably throws in the 90-91 mph range and is a draft possiblity as well.
All-Pro Photography/Dale Sparks

“One of the scouting bureau guys and another one from the White Sox gave me questionnaires to fill out (after WVU’s win over the Bearcats),” Maxwell said. “I’ve had other questionnaires, too, but I haven’t talked to anyone directly.”

The Shinnston, W.Va., resident pitched just 33 innings this year for the Mountaineers but has the arm strength pro scouts desire. Maxwell said it has always been a dream of his to play professional baseball.

“I’d like to get drafted but if I don’t I’ve always got that option to come back,” Maxwell said.

The same applies to Carpenter.

“(Returning) is in the back of my mind,” he said. “I really haven’t discussed a round that I would come back to school but that is still an option.”

One thing that is not an option, according to Carpenter, is sitting around his computer all day on Tuesday waiting to see if or when he is picked.

“My dad joked that he’s going to send me on a fishing trip with my best friend. If I go I’ll keep my cell phone with me,” he said.

Senior Stan Posluszny, selected by the Anaheim Angels in the 21st round after his sophomore season in 2004, is a draft candidate after hitting .332 with 10 home runs and 60 RBI in 2006.

Junior Justin Jenkins is another possibility. The Ridgeley, W.Va., resident hit .375 with 10 home runs and 49 RBI in 58 games with a school-record 94 hits.

The draft begins Tuesday, June 6 at noon and continues through Wednesday. Last year’s draft lasted 50 rounds and 1,501 picks.

No comments:

Walrus Archive